"Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." James 1:27 (NKJV)
HERE ARE SOME STARTLING STATISTICS.
The United States is the world's leader in fatherless families!
Look at these examples of the impact of fatherlessness on today's children:
- 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes.
- 90% of all homeless and runaways are from fatherless homes.
- 71% of all high school dropouts are from fatherless homes.
- 70% of juveniles in state-operated institutions are from fatherless homes.
- 85% of all children who exhibit behavioral disorders are from fatherless homes.
- 70% of long term inmates are from fatherless homes (WorldNetDaily 2002).
Compared to their peers, children of a single-parent home had:
- a 77% greater risk of being physically abused.
- a 74% greater risk of suffering from emotional neglect (Dept. of Health and Human Resources).
*All statistics are from National Fatherhood Initiative unless otherwise indicated
As a sat in a missionary conference yesterday, a speaker who is in ministry began to share about the fatherless child and the startling statistics above. I don't think anyone in the auditorium had a dry eye. Personally, I was not aware of these facts but something in my heart changed when her presentation and prayers were over.
I felt that somehow, someway I could make a difference. Perhaps being a foster mom or respite home for a single mom who is very challenged in some way or maybe I could begin missions work in orphanages or address this issue on a local or state level or even within the churches in my area. Perhaps I could volunteer for agencies and organizations that already address this plight. But somehow, I have to do something.
God never promised us a perfect world. People make choices and He won't violate their will. But we can all take a serious look within our own lives and ask this question.
Am I making a difference in the life of a child right now in my own neighborhood who may be or become part of these statistics?
God bless you as you search your heart on this topic.
GBY! Barbara :)
- This biog is an extension of HOPE Ministry and "The Secret Place" -- if it has sown a blessing into your life please consider sowing back into the ministry at the website link below: